Digging, planting, growing

OK so most of the growing is weeds, and most of the digging is trying to remove these weeds, but at least the growing part is seeds and things that will one day be edible. I think we’re winning.

Due to my slightly distracted nature, I am breeding a strain of tomato plants that is not only drought resistant, but also neglect tolerant. It’s not that I don’t want to go and water them every day, it’s just I keep forgetting! Some seem to be doing pretty well, while others have shriveled up and died. I guess it’s better for the weak ones to die off now than later in the year when they’re trying to make fruit.

If the water collection part of my greenhouse project works, I’ll be able to set up an irrigation system to keep things watered. Currently I have a few water irrigation bag things which do work, but empty too quickly.

Apart from working out a way to water the greenhouse, another project is digging over the weedy patch where the previous occupant liked to burn tyres and horde carpet. I’ve strimmed a lot of it back so hopefully digging it over won’t be too traumatic. I’m getting good at digging holes, I might switch jobs and become a grave digger.

Greenhouse construction

It occurred to me that since both of our greenhouses appear to be identical, joining them together might be a good plan. There weren’t many problems moving the other one, although we’re now short of a few pieces of glass, and picking tempered glass cubes out the soil is going to be an ongoing activity when I dig over the ground where it used to sit.

The insides of both have been leveled and covered with weed matting and gravel to keep the weeds out, and give some drainage to plants inside.

I just need to go and buy some more glass and fit it, then the greenhouse will be done and things can be grown inside it!

Planting seeds for the allotment

We have just set up five seed trays containing the following seeds

  • Lettuce
  • Peppers
  • Tomatoes
  • Basil
  • Onions
  • Carrots
  • Cress
  • Radish
  • Spring Onion
  • Squash
  • Sweetcorn

The tomatoes and peppers, and the basil will be planted in a greenhouse, the rest will be grown outside once big enough.

Greenhouse construction

We have obtained a new greenhouse, but unlike the previous one it requires building. We used our other one as a reference and managed to get most of the frame built before our fingers froze in the cold. Aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat.

One problem we had was some of the bolts holding it together were damaged and sheared off as we tightened them. However they’re easily available on eBay and very cheap. Once they arrive we’ll finish the frame and put the glass in.

Look at the size of my deck

The shed might not yet have a roof, but it does have a nice deck out the front now…

image

Hand made by my amazing coconspirator and a large hammer.
We did buy the materials to make a roof…

image

They were almost too large for the car. Almost.

image

Tomorrow I’ll at least get around to cutting the roof sheets to length and working out how to build the structure. If we’re both not too knackered or it’s too dark we’ll try to assemble it.

Studio apartment, excellent views, some work required…

We’ve managed to put up most of the shed. It only fell down once in the wind too!

image

Two walls make half a shed, right?

image

My shed has got three corners, three corners has my shed. Also some repairs were needed on the floor.

image

Best lock up for the night, don’t want anyone breaking in…
Tomorrow we need to get some wood to make a roof, the current roof is kind of rotten. Well, so is the shed, but the roof is so rotten I can crumble the wood in my hands.
Also there was a wasp nest. Then there was a hammer and a squishy mark.

image

One shed, some assembly required

Our allotment has a shed. Sort of. Another plot has been vacated and we got first dibs. The shed is about 30% rot but survived being taken apart and shoved on the roof of a land rover. Armed with a hammer and a bag of six inch nails, I’ll be able to rebuild it.

image

We had to make a base first. The previous occupants helpfully left a pile of rubbish and rubble for us to use.

image

They also tried to carpet the soil…

image

And at one time there were tires…

image

There’s also a crazy man in the house behind our plot. He can be the topic of another post.

I also removed a nettle bush that was creeping through the soil. At some point we’ll be done clearing rubbish and weeds and will be able to mark out places for growing things.

It’s a bit of a process – first we need a shed to hide in when it rains, and so we don’t need to keep transporting tools in my car. Then we mark out where things can grow. After that it’s digging. Lots of digging.